About The Lamar University
A lot of our degree programs involve students getting degrees through the famed Lamar university, based in Beaumont, Texas. As a result, we thought we should give you some important trivia related to the institution.
Lamar University is located centrally in the city of Beaumont, which itself is a cultural hotbed. With a little more than 115,000 populace settled in Beaumont, it is undoubtedly a diverse city offering a range of business and industrial opportunities from the major petrochemical and agricultural sectors in the area. Besides the University, Beaumont is home to the branches of some of the world’s most renowned companies, who operate here because of the abundance of the area’s resources.
When Did it All Start?
Established formally on March 8th, 1923, it promptly got authorization from the South Park School district of the city to commence classes. It was September 17, 1923, that Lama University, then called South Park Junior College started operating with only 125 students and a measly faculty of 14 teachers and professors. Initially, it was a part of the South Park High School Building where the college shared facilities like having a common library and athletics facilities. In 1932, the college was finally provided with separate facilities and changed its name to “ Lamar” College. The name was dedicated to the Late Mirabeau B. Lamar, the second president of Texan republic, also hailed as the “Father of Education” of Texas.
Fast forward almost 94 years, Lamar College, now known as Lamar University offers one of the most comprehensive bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees in the country. With a $200 million annual economic impact, Lamar has produced more than 71,000 graduates to date.
The main aim of Lamar University is to empower and engage students with the required skills and knowledge for excelling in both their professional and personal lives. Lamar University grants doctorates, which makes them internationally recognized as an institution offering high-quality academics. They aim to transform the communities of South Texas and beyond by incorporating innovative curriculum plans, diverse student population, accessibility as well as leading-edge technology.
Lamar University is associated with a lot of top-notch academic councils and commissions around the world. The university as a whole is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges as well as the Schools Commission on Colleges.
- The undergraduate program in computer science, in the College of Arts and Sciences, is accredited by Computing Commission of ABET (http://www.abet.org/) while the Nursing undergraduate program falls under the National League for Nursing.
- All Social Work and commissions are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- All undergraduate and graduate programs in the College of Business are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB-International).
- The College of Education and Human Development, offers several programs like the dietetics program which is accredited by the American Dietetic Association and the teachers education programs, all of which are approved by the Texas Education Agency and the State Board of Educator Certification and are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- The Department of Music under the College of Fine Arts and Communication is accredited by National Association of Schools of Music. Additional programs in this department like speech-language pathology and deaf education are accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and by the Council for Education of the Deaf respectively.
- Lamar offers undergraduate engineering programs such as Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Industrial and Mechanical Engineering through its College of All these courses are accredited by the Engineering Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org/.
Where to Contact us
If you have any questions or additional doubts regarding course details and accreditation, you should contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097, or call (404) 679-4500.
Lamar University is approved by the Texas Education Agency.